Good morning, friends! Or is it just an ok morning? If so, I guarantee you it’s because you’re tired and you didn’t get enough sleep last night. Sound familiar? All day long, I hear complaints of being exhausted, needing more coffee, or not being able to fall asleep easily. I am lucky enough that I can fall asleep almost instantly. For years, I’ve never had a problem shutting down for the night.
Over time, people have always asked me what I do for a good night’s sleep so I decided to create some tips and tell you what helps me wind down and get snoozing!
- Journal and read: I used to spend hours on my phone or i-pad before bed. But instagram leads to tumblr which leads to twitter and I swear, it’s 2 am when you glance at the clock. Instead, unwind with a good book or write what you’re grateful for your journal.
- Essential oils are everything. I create a calming combo for my diffuser at night which usually includes lavender to help me get sleepy and eucalyptus to help me breathe well. I always switch it up, however, and this makes it fun to come up with new combos. I also let it run all night, which lets it work as a humidifier too!
- Keep your room dark, cool, and quiet when it’s time for bed. Keeping the tv on, lights on, a fan buzzing in your ear… it will usually effect how you fall asleep. It’s always dark and quiet when I go to sleep and this has ALWAYS been helpful.
- Sheets and curtains go a long way. I buy jersey sheets and they are so unbelievably comfy (I’ve had these blue ones since college and I just can’t part with them!) Curtains are also an extremely important investment. I have blackout curtains and I don’t know what I would do without them. The one thing that consistently wakes me up at sleepovers is sunlight.
- Drink some chamomile tea or take a bath. I love bubble baths at night because they help me unwind and de-stress. I especially love this Eo Everyone Bath Yoga Soak with Epsom salts and essential oils to help me detox and relax at night. But just an FYI, if you have a Harmon store near you, it’s like $8 there…not $18. 😉
- Take off all your makeup. Just do it. Don’t fight me.
- And lastly, change into your comfiest clothes. I do this almost as soon as I get home from work. Leggings and a tank or my go-to lately. Comfy = happy.
Now go to bed!